Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Banking Concept of Education

    The Banking Concept of Education is a difficult article.  The first time I read this article I thought that it was merely focusing how the banking concept is a very effective form of teaching.  Class on Monday helped me understand more clearly, especially in the middle of the article when he gets philosophical.  After class on Monday I re-read Freire’s article and it made more sense.  Certain pieces of his article stand out to me.  I believe that when I connected these pieces to events I can relate to, I understand Freire better.
    “But, sooner or later, these contradictions may lead formerly passive students to turn agains their domestication and the attempt to domesticate reality”(pg. 320)
    This quote reminded me of the American Hippies.  Post World War II education was very important, and math and science was believed to be very important in the space age.  Art, music, writing, and self expression were viewed as not important.  The banking concept of education is very strong in 1960s classrooms.  The teacher would be in-front of the class and the children sat dutiful at their desk absorbing information.  Many children that grew up in this society, were young adults in the late 1960s and 1970s craved self expression.  I believe that these children were exposed to the banking concept throughout their childhood, and when they reached the young adulthood they became resistant to authority, and they became more aware of their selves in the world.
"a person is merely in the world, not with the world"(pg. 321)
  

1 comment:

  1. Good historical connection. The 60s was a moment of resistance to this type of education (which was much worse at that time).

    However, when you quote the last line, I think you have forgotten its context:

    "Implicit in the banking concept is the assumption of a dichotomy between human beings and the world: a person is merely in the world, not with the world or with others"

    Freire wants us to move from the idea that we are merely "in" the world to the idea that we are with the world and others--connected outside of ourselves. Furthermore, by being "with" the world, we can understand ourselves as involved in the world's creation and transformation.

    ReplyDelete